The Paws for Heroes program requires that eligible veterans provide the following:
1. Confirmation that you are a permanent resident in the Greater Houston, Texas area (Harris, Montgomery, Fort Bend, Brazoria or Galveston counties). You must reside in a home or apartment that is suitable and safe for a companion dog.
2. Please note that Paws for Heroes does not place companion dogs in homes with children who reside (or visit regularly) who are under the age of 5.
3. Complete an Inquiry to Adopt a Paws for Heroes Dog. After you submit the Inquiry to Adopt a Paws for Heroes Dog, your inquiry will be reviewed to confirm your eligibility. If you are eligible, Paws for Heroes will send you an Adoption Application.
4. Complete an Adoption Application (note that this is different from the Inquiry to Adopt a Paws for Heroes Dog). Paws for Heroes will send you an Adoption Application after receiving and approving your Inquiry to Adopt a Paws for Heroes Dog.
5. Copy of your DD-214 or proof of military status.
6 Attend telephone and in-person interviews and home visits discussing information contained in your application and your knowledge and experience owning a dog.
7. Review required reading materials regarding dog behavior, positive reinforcement training and general pet care.